When it comes to tech savvy web design for an e-commerce store, we are asked one specific question. Which platform is best for my business? Before a suggestion can be made, there are always a few things that need to be considered. Because it comes to e-comm platforms, there are 3 big hitters in the form of:
All are well-established platforms that have outstanding reputations. BUT most importantly require various levels of skill, time and of course budget.
WOOCOMMERCE ON WORDPRESS
Woocommerce is one of the most used ecommerce platforms in the world. As of November 2018, Builtwith reported that an estimated 2,906,789 websites are currently using it’s highly customisable open-source solution, built on top of WordPress site via a free plugin. More impressively, Woocommerce runs 5.38% of the top 1 million visited websites online. wordpress
- Free Plugin
- Free Themes Available
- Highly Customisable
- Advice Readily Available Via Support Or Blogs
- Premium Themes Can Be Costly
- SSL Certificate Not Included
- Hosting Costs Extra (Look for coupons like Liquid Web)
- Custom Designs Require Advanced Web Development Knowledge
Magento is the Adobe owned, corporate level e-commerce solution ideal for more advanced businesses with high volumes of traffic and sales. Or usually those with the ambition to reach it. The sky really is the limit with a Magento platform due to it’s unlimited, robust design capabilities. Although it does require an advanced web development skill set. Magento is said to manage over $100 Billion in gross merchandise volume across the world (Magento, 2018), making it one of the strongest and trusted platforms on the market.
- Unlimited Web Development Abilities
- Offer A Free & Premium Solution
- Premium Package Includes Advanced Security Features And Hosting
- Built-in Real Time Data & Analytics Features
- Strong Support Network
- Secure Magento
- Requires Strong Web Development Knowledge
- Advanced Plugins Can Be Costly Without A Developer
Shopify is the e-commerce platform specifically for customers to build their own online store with little or no web design knowledge. For that reason the platform uses ridged, template based themes to aid customers in creating a functional website to suit their business. It is thought that Shopify currently houses around 650,000 merchants across 175 countries, consequently making it a highly trusted provider. Also, Shopify is a software as a service (SaaS) tool, which means that the customer will never own a copy of the platform, as a result they will pay a monthly fee for usage.
- Full Hosted Service
- Easy To Use Management And Design Interface
- Premium Packages Include Customer Support
- Not Highly Customisable
- Premium Templates Are Costly
- Monthly Licensing Fees – These Become More Expensive As Your Site/Business Grows
- Shopify Transaction Fees On Purchases Through Your Site
Each platform is created with a different user in mind. But for more ambitious and highly customisable sites Magento & WordPress, is always the way forward. These platforms will give you the ability to grow as a brand, without incurring more costs along the way. For more information, or help deciding which platform is for you, get in touch today for a complimentary consultation with our highly experienced team of web developers. Woocommerce vs magento 2018.